I had the fear of Incorporating color into my wardrobe for years until I made some few changes.
I can relate with those going through the same issues which is why I am here to help.
few reasons why people shy away from color
- lack of knowledge of what colors work best for their skin tone.
- Negative reaction from friends and family.
- self made assumptions like ‘yellow is not my color’ even if they have never tried it.
- No interest.
One day I looked at my wardrobe and realized almost everything was either grey or cream colored.
I found out that each time I went shopping, because I chose the same colors my mind became conditioned subconsciously.
I wouldn’t even bother looking for something else the greys and the creams became my thing.
what if just like me your subconscious is already drawn to specific colors? here is how to fix it.
- Recondition your mind.
- if the outfit you are drawn to is the usual color, go for something different but with the same design that way you wont feel like you are missing out on something.
- Be disciplined, go shopping with a friend and let them know what your goal is.
- Remember you already have a thousand black tops you do not need an extra pair.
MORE ON INCOPORATING COLOR INTO YOUR WARDROBE
1. KNOW YOUR UNDERTONE:
An undertone is the color beneath your skin, it enables you to know what colors would work best for you.
Bear in mind that some colors such as purple, green, red go well with all skin tones.
There are three main types
for more information on undertones click here
2. BEGIN WITH THE DARKEST SHADE OF COLOR
Now that you know what undertone you are and what colors would work best for you,
start with the darkest shade in the spectrum. lets say for instance you have a warm undertone
instead of beginning with the brightest shade of yellow go for a deeper shade like mustard.
It is important because
- you get to adjust gradually.
- it prevents you from being too self aware in public.
- reduces your chances of quitting before you even start.
3. START WITH AN ACCESSORY
walk your way into that colorful life by starting with an accessory, that way you will not feel overwhelmed.
Try beginning in this order from the least to the greatest
4. CHOOSE A DAY OR TWO IN A WEEK TO PUT ON COLOR
Setting aside a day of the week for this purpose would make you more excited and less stressed.
with time you can increase it to two or three times a week.
5. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY THE RIDE
It is not easy to unlearn something you have been used to doing for a long time.
Be patient, see it as a fun project instead of a chore. To make it even more fun ask for assistance.
if someone had told me four years ago that I would be putting on a bright pink jumpsuit
it would be really funny but guess what it is happening. Click HERE to Purchase
Thank you for reading
Have a great week ahead.